Can P2P applications learn to play fair on networks?

John Kristoff jtk at ultradns.net
Mon Oct 29 23:53:27 UTC 2007

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 12:50:32 -0400 (EDT)
Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com> wrote:

> Comcast's network is QOS DSCP enabled, as are many other large provider
> networks.  Enterprise customers use QOS DSCP all the time.  However, the
> net neutrality battles last year made it politically impossible for
> providers to say they use QOS in their consumer networks.

re:  <http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/2005-12/msg00334.html>

This came up before and I'll ask again, what do you mean by QoS?  And
what precisely does QoS DSCP really mean here?  It's important to know
what queueing, dropping, limiting, etc. policies and hardware/buffering
capabilities are with the DSCP settings.  Otherwise it's just a buzzword
on a checklist that might not even actually do anything.  I'd also like
to hear about monitoring and management capabilities are deployed, that
was a real problem last time I checked.

How much has really changed?  Do you (or if someone on these big nets
wants to own up offlist) have pointers to indicate that deployment is
significantly different now than they were a couple years ago?  Even
better, perhaps someone can do a preso at a future meeting on their
recent deployment experience?  I did one a couple years and I haven't
heard of things improving markedly since then, but then I am still
recovering from having drunk from that jug of kool-aid.  :-)

John