Any help for Yahoo! Mail arrogance?

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Mon Oct 29 17:31:31 UTC 2007

> On 10/29/07, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET <ml at t-b-o-h.net> wrote:
>
> >         "Unfortunately, we cannot provide you with
> > specific information other than to suggest a review
> > of the questionnaire we supplied and try to determine
> > where your mailing practices may be improved upon."
>
> In other words, fix your forwarding a lot better (and possibly
> segregate it from your main mail stream, clearly label the forwarding
> IP as a forwarder, etc)
>
> Yahoo arent really in the business of teaching people how to do a
> better job.  If that sounds like arrogance ..
>
> srs

	"Fix your forwarding a lot better". Not sure what this
means. My machines are MX's for the clients domain. They
accept it, and either forward it around locally to one of the
processing MX's or ARE one one of the processing MX's. Its
then run through SpamAssassin hoping to do the best we can to
filter out REALLY bad spam, and the box either directly tries
to send to a Yahoo! MX mailer, or forwards to another outbound
box to attempt to send it out. I'm not sure where in that whole
equation we are doing anything that isn't the best we can
except if we assign a person to sit down, read each and every
email, and then forward it along to the destination user. As
it is now, I'm sure we drop some legit mail... And I know
some legit mail isn't getting through since Yahoo! relays aren't
accepting ANYTHING. (And, as a result, even my emails to them
were lagged by days while they stopped accepting anything from
us for a while).

	Segregate from our main mail stream? We have this 1
customer (Yes, currently, one) who has this type of setup. They
are on a shared server. I should set up a single box just to
handle their MX? We are a hosting company, the only time
we send mail to Yahoo! otherwise is if one of their customers
fills a webform out that maybe copies them, they are on a
mailing exploder, or we reply to a customer who uses Yahoo!.

	Label forwarding IP as a forwarder... We told them,
they told us that our IP was RFC1918 (Which it wasn't)
and that they wouldn't accept that. Once I could convince
them that we weren't using RFC1918 to route, and that our
IP range was Legacy Internic IP's which were perfectly
valid to be routed, they then turned around and found
another excuse.

	No, they aren't in the business to teach someone
who's been in the industry all his life, and run
Managed Server Companies for over 11 years... But to
play the "We aren't going to tell you why we aren't
accepting your mail, you'll just have to guess and
submit back in *6* months.... (AND, tell their user
to set up a filter to receive the email {WHEN ITS
IMPOSSIBLE SINCE THE MAIL NEVER MAKES IT}) is just
unbelievable and arrogant to me.

		Tuc/TBOH