Can P2P applications learn to play fair on networks?

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sat Oct 27 23:31:29 UTC 2007

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007, Mohacsi Janos wrote:
> Agreed. Measures, like NAT, spoofing based accelerators, quarantining
> computers are developed for fairly small networks. No for 1Gbps and above and
> 20+ sites/customers.

"small" is a relative term.  Hong Kong is already selling 1Gbps access
links to residential customers, and once upon a time 56Kbps was a big
backbone network.

Last month folks were complaining about ISPs letting everything through
the networks, this month people are complaining that ISPs aren't letting
everything through the networks.  Does this mean next month we will be
back the other direction again.

Why artificially keep access link speeds low just to prevent upstream
network congestion?  Why can't you have big access links?