BitTorrent swarms have a deadly bite on broadband nets

Geo. geoincidents at nls.net
Thu Oct 25 20:11:28 UTC 2007

> > Seems to me a programmer setting a default schedule in an
> application is
> > far simpler than many of the other suggestions I've seen for solving
> > this problem.
>
> End users do not have any interest in saving ISP upstream
> bandwidth,

they also have no interest in learning so setting defaults in popular
software, for example RFC1918 space zones in MS DNS server, can make all the
difference in the world.

This way, the bulk of filesharing would have the defaults set to minimize
use during peak periods and still allow the freedom on a per user basis to
change that. Most would not simply because they don't know about it. The
effects of such a default could be considerable.

Also if this default stepping back during peak times only affected upload
speeds, the user would never notice, in fact if they did notice they would
probably like that it allows them more bandwidth for browsing and sending
email during the hours they are likely to use it.

I fail to see a downside?

Geo.