BitTorrent swarms have a deadly bite on broadband nets

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Oct 25 19:26:45 UTC 2007

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, Geo. wrote:

> Seems to me a programmer setting a default schedule in an application is
> far simpler than many of the other suggestions I've seen for solving
> this problem.

End users do not have any interest in saving ISP upstream bandwidth, their
interest is to get as much as they can, when they want/need it. So solving
a bandwidth crunch by trying to make end user applications behave in an
ISP friendly manner is a concept that doesn't play well with reality.

Congestion should be at the individual customer access, not in the
distribution, not at the core.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se