BitTorrent swarms have a deadly bite on broadband nets

Geo. geoincidents at nls.net
Thu Oct 25 18:30:22 UTC 2007

> Actually, it sounds a lot like the Electric7 tariffs found in the UK for
> electricity. These are typically used by low income people who have less
> education than the average population. And yet they can understand the
> concept of saving money by using more electricity at night.

I can't comment on MPLS or DSCP bits but the concept of night-time on the
internet I found interesting. This would be a localized event as night moved
around the earth. If the scheduling feature in many of the fileshare
applications were preset to run full bore during late night hours and back
off to 1/4 speed during the day I wonder how that might affect both the
networks and the ISPs. Since the far side of the planet would be on the
opposite schedule from each other, that might also help to localize the
traffic from fileshare networks.

Seems to me a programmer setting a default schedule in an application is far
simpler than many of the other suggestions I've seen for solving this
problem.

Geo.

George Roettger
Netlink Services