Internet access in Japan (was Re: BitTorrent swarms have a deadly bite on broadband nets)

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Wed Oct 24 16:31:00 UTC 2007

Frank Bulk wrote:
> Here's timely article: "KDDI says 900k target for fibre users 'difficult'"
> http://www.telegeography.com/cu/article.php?article_id=20215&email=html

KDDI isn't the only ftfth provider... NTT east/west (flets), usen,
softbank/yahooBB and others all play in that space.

100/100 from softbank appears to be ~7200 yen while 50/12 dsl is about
4500 yen if you have a phone line as well... ;)

Obviously if you live out in the boonies like Jared, even in japan your
options are pretty slow. The Onsen I visited in fuji-hakone 2 years ago
had only 3Mb/s for example.