Internet access in Japan (was Re: BitTorrent swarms have a deadly bite on broadband nets)

Rod Beck Rod.Beck at hiberniaatlantic.com
Wed Oct 24 14:58:15 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 24 October 2007 05:36, Henry Yen wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 09:20:49AM -0400, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> > Why are no major us builders installing FTTH today?  Greenfield should
> > be the easiest, and major builders like Pulte, Centex and the like
> > should be eager to offer it; but don't.
>
> Well, Verizon seems to be making heavy bets on replacing significant
> chunks of old copper plant with FTTH.  Here's a recent FiOS announcement:
>
>   Linkname: Verizon discovers symmetry, offers 20/20 symmetrical FiOS
> service URL:
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071023-verizon-discovers-symmetry-of
>fers-2020-symmetrical-fios-service.html

 While probably more "good" than "bad", it is my understanding that when
Verizon (and others) provide FTTH (fiber to the home) they "cut" or
physically disconnect all other connections to that residence.....  so much
for any "choice"...

Exactly. And because they installed fiber, the FCC has ruled that they do not have to provide unbundled network elements to competitors.

I expect that when you look at the population of broadband users, it is only a tiny percentage that really need fiber to their residence.

Let's remember that one of the main reasons that broadband displaced dial up was that it is always available and does not interfer with phone service.

- R.