BitTorrent swarms have a deadly bite on broadband nets

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Wed Oct 24 14:09:45 UTC 2007

Brian:

I do operate a DOCSIS network as part of my job, so I do have an inkling in
regards to its network design. =)

"For a 30 Mbps Docsis 2.0 configuration, you need to have a 6.4MHz
widechannel with 64qam modulation."  You don't *need* to operate at that
wide or high a modulation for DOCSIS 2.0, though it's advantageous.  In
speaking with a Motorola SE on this, he's seen very few MSOs operate their
upstream at 6.4 MHz/64-QAM, though that's they're goal.  The modulations
between 16-QAM and 64-QAM are generally being avoided.

It's my understanding that the same MSOs who are moving toward the channel
bonding of DOCSIS 3.0 are also doing digital simulcast and/or digital
switching, because of those spectrum concerns.  This makes moving toward
channel bonding a concerted effort on their part.  If they are successful, I
think they can achieve sufficient speeds in comparison to fiber -- at least
they are in a better position than those doing FTTN or FTTC, just as
SBC/BellSouth.

BTW, in N.A. it's a 6 MHz wide carrier, not 6.4 MHz.

Regards,

Frank