Misguided SPAM Filtering techniques

Suresh Ramasubramanian ops.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 02:53:26 UTC 2007

On 10/24/07, William Herrin <herrin-nanog at dirtside.com> wrote:

> You must have been irked by the airport wireless in ABQ then. I
> couldn't figure out why my ssh connection was failing until I checked
> the DNS and relized that even after clicking "free access" button in a
> web browser they returned 192.168.1.1 for almost every name requested.
> :(

I will trade your ABQ wireless for almost anything that uses Nomadix's
hotspot product .. the one that has a login page on http://1.1.1.1 -
even more broken dns jail, returns 0.0.0.0 if I remember correctly for
random queries till their upstream dns resolver actually decides to go
update its cache.  Probably because I have a v6 aware resolver + some
of the hosts I accessed were dual v4/v6 or something, not sure.

I got a really well filled /etc/hosts file for trips through paris
airport (where the paris airport hilton charges 25 EUR a day for wifi,
and it is 9 EUR a hour at the airport, ugh)

srs