Misguided SPAM Filtering techniques

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Oct 23 19:32:16 UTC 2007

Owen DeLong wrote:

> The issue is the increasingly high percentage of internet connections
> which are
> becoming broken.  So far, the only "justification" for this behavior
> posted is the
> inability of the folks in Redmond to deliver non-broken software such
> that a large
> enough fraction of portable machines are able to "credential hijack"
> from stored
> credentials on the machine and impersonate the operator while botted.

I really don't get it. While I understand with tcp/25 blocking, there is
absolutely no reason to block tcp/587. If credential's are being hijacked, it is
the responsiblity of the MSA server to close the door. There's nothing to say
those credentials weren't blasted to an irc server or a web script somewhere and
the actual usage of them will be from some other random location on the net.

Jack Bates