ratio fixer (was: advanced OSes tcp++;)

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Oct 23 14:17:20 UTC 2007

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 01:10:45AM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> You want to make my day?  Come up with a way that Joe Sixpack can *back up*
> that 500 gigabyte hard drive that's in a $600 computer (in other words, if
> that backup scheme costs Joe much more than $50, *it wont happen*).

	Having ratio issues?  Offer a 'free' backup client so your customers
can upload their bits somewhere else.  If the disk is cheap enough and
you come up with a backend system to distribute it appropriately this could
easily become something valuable to offer to consumers.  And if you're
a network that pushes traffic in one way, a chance to 'even' it out.

	Good luck due to the lower upload speeds (how long to rsync that
new 2G CF card of family photos @ 128k?

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net