Can P2P applications learn to play fair on networks?

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue Oct 23 13:07:15 UTC 2007

On 23-okt-2007, at 14:52, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> I also would like to see a UDP scavenger service, for those
> applications that generate lots of bits but
> can tolerate fairly high packet losses without replacement. (VLBI,
> for example, can in principle live with 10% packet loss without
> much pain.)

Note that this is slightly different from what I've been talking
about: if a user trips the traffic volume limit and is put in the
lower-than-normal traffic class, that user would still be using TCP
apps so very high packet loss rates would be problematic here.

So I guess this makes three traffic classes.

> In this case, I suspect that a "worst effort" TOS class would be
> honored across domains.

If not always by choice.  :-)