Internet access in Japan (was Re: BitTorrent swarms have a deadly bite on broadband nets)

Tom Vest tvest at pch.net
Tue Oct 23 08:10:47 UTC 2007

Yup, matches my experience (designing/deploying AOL's swan song JP
network infrastructure) during the same period.
The "ILECs" were artifacts of the Japanese regulators' 1997 effort to
relieve the last mile facilities death grip on services, ala the
(1984) US MFJ / AT&T breakup. The new c. 2001 "pressure" was possible
because the Japanese gov was still NTT's largest shareholder.

The same "pressure" that prompted FTTH rollout also delivered the
metro and access facilities unbundling that begat YahooBB and
ubiquitous 20-100Mbps to the home over conventional facilities -- the
latter mandate being similar in form the US Telecom Act of 1996, with
the minor exception that it actually worked there...

TV