Misguided SPAM Filtering techniques

Al Iverson aiversonlists at spamresource.com
Mon Oct 22 16:30:27 UTC 2007

On 10/22/07, Sean Figgins <sean at labrats.us> wrote:

> Dave Pooser wrote:
>
> > Whenever I get one of those, I go ahead and confirm the message so the spam
> > gets through to the end user. I figure if they think I'm gonna filter their
> > mail for free, well, they get what they pay for.  :^)
>
> And that is probably just fine, as 99% of the true spam comes from email
> addresses (and often doamins) that either do not exist, or often are not
> configured to receive email.

Cite?

I log only valid domains used as the PRA or MFROM in the spam I
receive, about 10k/day. Counting valid domains only, each domain is
only seen on about three different spams, when averaged out. That's a
hell of a lot of domains that actually exist, and I think a more
accurate assumption is that a significant nonzero amount of that
backscatter does actually reach a recipient mailbox on the other end.

Regards,
Al Iverson

--
Al Iverson on Spam and Deliverability, see http://www.spamresource.com