Can P2P applications learn to play fair on networks?

Brandon Galbraith brandon.galbraith at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 01:03:54 UTC 2007

On 10/21/07, Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Simon Lyall wrote:
> > So stop whinging about how bitorrent broke your happy Internet, Stop
> > putting in traffic shaping boxes that break TCP and then complaining
> > that p2p programmes don't follow the specs and adjust your pricing and
> > service to match your costs.
>
> Folks in New Zealand seem to also whine about data caps and "fair usage
> policies," I doubt changing US pricing and service is going to stop the
> whining.
>
> Those seem to discourage people from donating their bandwidth for P2P
> applications.
>
> Are there really only two extremes?  Don't use it and abuse it?  Will
> P2P applications really never learn to play nicely on the network?

Can last-mile providers play nicely with their customers and not continue to
offer "Unlimited" (but we really mean only as much as we say, but we're not
going to tell you the limit until you reach it) false advertising? It skews
the playing field, as well as ticks off the customer. The P2P applications
are already playing nicely. They're only using the bandwidth that has been
allocated to the customer.

-brandon