Can P2P applications learn to play fair on networks?

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sun Oct 21 18:46:17 UTC 2007

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007, Florian Weimer wrote:
> In my experience, a permanently congested network isn't fun to work
> with, even if most of the flows are long-living and TCP-compatible.  The
> lack of proper congestion control is kind of a red herring, IMHO.

Why do you think so many network operators of all types are implementing
controls on that traffic?

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs

Its not just the greedy commercial ISPs, its also universities,
non-profits, government, co-op, etc networks.  It doesn't seem to matter
if the network has 100Mbps user connections or 128Kbps user connection,
they all seem to be having problems with these particular applications.