how to write an incident report

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Sat Oct 20 17:04:47 UTC 2007

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Joe Abley wrote:

> For those who don't recognise the name (presumably many people), Citylink are
> a disruptive high-speed metro transport provider in Wellington, New Zealand.
> They run the most elaborate and scary layer-2 switched ethernet network I've
> ever heard of, and the other week they ran into some problems which caused a
> prolonged outage.
>
> Here's their writeup:
>
> http://news.clnz.net/2007/10/19#Loopback-Saturday-Discussion
>
> Why don't I have any suppliers like this?

Probably because your suppliers run everything thru their lawyers.  This
obviously was posted straight via the NOC/OPs group.  They'll continue to
post incident reports like this until they get hit by their first lawsuit
by someone similar to "spilling hot coffee on their lap".

"This take somewhat longer than it should have..."

"then we are pretty sure that the measures above (enforcing MAC count
limits on every port, disabling keepalives on interswitch links, single
homing all 2950's) will prevent the problem from reoccuring..."

There is enough info in that posting to bury them in frivilous lawsuits.

-Hank