Comcast blocking p2p uploads

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Sat Oct 20 14:19:19 UTC 2007

At 07:36 AM 10/20/2007, William Allen Simpson wrote:

>Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>>I cannot access relevant pages on www.comcast.com due to me not
>>being in the US (or rather, they require an address first), could
>>anyone please paste or other way supply the wording/text they use
>>in their fineprint, to allow them contractually to disrupt customer
>>TCP session in other way than delaying or dropping the packets
>>(which I guess is accepted industry standard).
>>Sending/spoofing RST on certain customer TCP sessions doesn't
>>qualify as normal network behaviour in my mind, so would be
>>interesting to hear how they word it legally.
>They don't, Comcast is egregiously in violation of their own AUP!
>
>   http://www.comcast.net/terms/use.jsp

It is interesting to note that the terms of service given on
comcast.com say nothing about restrictions on use. I make the
distinction between comcast.net and comcast.com for an important
reason: comcast.com is where folks go to sign up. Comcast.net is a
portal for existing users. In other words, it appears this AUP is not
posted (at least not that I could find) on the sales-oriented page.
Does the user actually agree to this AUP prior to signing a
commitment with Comcast?

Of course the AUP starts with the usual big-business text (popular
with credit card companies too) that says the company is free to make
any adjustments to the AUP at any time. In all the years I've been a
Comcast customer at home, I don't recall any notices about changes to
the terms of service. The credit card companies at least tell you,
and advise if you don't agree you can cancel your account.