Comcast blocking p2p uploads

Eric Spaeth eric at spaethco.com
Fri Oct 19 23:40:46 UTC 2007

Sean Figgins wrote:
> Eric Spaeth wrote:
>
> > With rate-shaping they would need to have the P2P identification widget
> > in-line with the data path to be able to classify and mark traffic so
> > that it can be queued/throttled appropriately.
>
> The Sandvine, in particular, is designed to be placed in-line like
> this.  It does, however, deploy a technology to shunt the traffic
> through the device in the event that the server craters.  Many network
> devices do this now.
I have previous experience with Sitara QoS devices that sported that
same feature.  The problem was that the relay would only shut if the box
lost power or if it received a software command to disengage.  We had
numerous problems where the packet processing engine would become
overwhelmed and lock up;  the relay stayed engaged because the box
retained power and the software driver was rendered useless once the
whole OS locked up.

Maybe it's just me, but when a vendor is concerned enough about their
box failing that they work out these elaborate bypass options it doesn't
inspire a lot of confidence in the stability of the product.  IMHO,
wedging a 99.5% available piece of hardware between your 99.99+%
available network hardware is just bad karma.

-Eric