Comcast blocking p2p uploads

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Fri Oct 19 20:53:22 UTC 2007

At 03:10 PM 10/19/2007, John C. A. Bambenek wrote:

>I love how the framed it as "data discrimination".  Let's just be
>honest... 99% of it was illegal traffic taking up far more than their
>fair share of bandwidth.

Let's be honest. The US ISPs have been advertising "unlimited"
service, but heavily oversubscribe to limit costs. The expectation is
that users will only use the bandwidth rarely and in short bursts. We
all know all about over subscription, but it is now problematic due
to distributed applications.

Blocking heavy users (or terminating them, as at least one
cellular/wireless Internet service provider does to heavy users of
its "unlimited" service) is false advertising. but it seems to be
accepted all around, without so much as an asterisk and footnote.

So it all comes down to what the definition of "unlimited" is. Truth
in advertising and all that. There seems to be a great unwillingness
to tell the truth in our society.