Comcast blocking p2p uploads

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Fri Oct 19 20:17:23 UTC 2007

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Eric Lutvak wrote:

> As far as bandwith, lets be totally realistic, Comcast is ultimately the
> controller of everything in and out of their network infrastructure
> right?
> Well um they control it.. so I think its stooped to block anything ,, I
> am all for letting people have what they pay for.. But... if comcast is
> going to be draconian about this,, then.. well if u don't like it go
> somewhere else.. Although I do hope that this does not become an
> alarming trend..

There are still many areas where cable is the only game in town (not
including satellite, which has its own limitations) if you want broadband
at home, so for those people there is no 'someplace else' to go.

> Bottom line is, if it eats up bandwidth well cap the client/customer who
> may be offending.. or if that individual cannot exceed the allotted
> bandwidth, then I don't see the problem..

There has been lots of speculation on some of the broadband forums as to
exactly what Comcast's policies are as far as how much bandwidth a cable
modem subscriber can use before they are warned/capped/suspended.  As far
as I know, Comcast has been pretty much mum on the subject.  It's hard for
users to know if they're running afoul of Comcast's policies, legality
issues aside, if Comcast won't say what the usage limits are.

jms