240/4

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Fri Oct 19 05:05:12 UTC 2007

I hadn't intended to post any further replies, but given the source and
the message here, felt this warranted it:

> Compared to the substantial training (just getting NOC monkeys to understand
> hexidecimal can be a challenge), back office system changes, deployment
> dependencies, etc. to use ipv6, the effort involved in patching systems to use
> 240/4 is lost in the noise. Saying "deploying a large network with 240/4
> is a problem of the same scale as migrating to ipv6" is like saying that
> trimming a hangnail is like having a leg amputated; both are painful but one
> is orders of magnitude more so than the other.

So is this a statement that Cisco is volunteering to provide free binary
patches for its entire product line?  Including the really old stuff
that happens to be floating around out there and still in use?

Because if it's not, your first stop should be to get your own shop
in order and on board, because for a major router vendor to not make
free binary patches available for its entire product line certainly
does represent a huge roadblock with adoption of IPv4-240+.

The day you guys release a set of free binary patches for all your
previous products, including stuff like the old Compatible Systems
line, old Cisco gear like the 2500, and old Linksys products, then
I'll be happy to concede that I could be wrong and that vendors might
actually make it possible for IPv4-240+ to be usable.

Until then, this doesn't carry much credibility, and continuing this
thread is a waste of time.  Nobody cares if you're able to patch a
current Linux system so that you can make one measly node on the
Internet work with IPv4-240+.  It's getting the rest of them to be
patched - including all the hosts and networking gear - that's the
problem.

If you just want to discuss your clever Linux patches, the Linux
mailing lists are >>> thataway.

... JG