dns authority changes and lame servers

Paul Vixie vixie at vix.com
Fri Oct 19 00:03:42 UTC 2007

mike at rockynet.com (Mike Lewinski) writes:

> Justin Scott wrote:
>
> > I suppose the problem with having an official list to query would be
> > getting all of the various registries to participate and keep it
> > regularly updated.  I personally qualify this as a slight inconvenience,
> > but I'm not sure I would call it a flaw in the DNS system.
>
> If we just call DNS a distributed database, then it is easy to see that
> when the keys (glue at root) get updated, the relations to those keys
> *should* all reflect that change.  ...
>
> And I'll admit, I'm not sure how to properly fix it either. My first
> thought was a BIND directive to "expire-stale-zones <interval>;" so that
> every <interval> the server might check to be sure it is still auth, and
> if it has found authority changed, would stop giving out AAs for it. But
> I see all kinds of operational issues arising from that too (such as,
> how do we gracefully setup new customer's zone before it has
> transitioned here).

as duane said, it's possible to accomplish this with creative nagios plugins.
however, i agree that it's something BIND should do, to be comprehensive.  if
someone is excited enough about this to consider sponsoring the work, please
contact me (vixie at isc.org) to discuss details.

> Really, in my ideal Internet, once my server was notified that it was no
> longer authoritative, it would have an option to do a reverse xfer to
> the new auth servers (who would then be free to accept/reject the old
> information as necessary - can't count the number of times I've tried to
> get customers to provide zone file records in advance and failed because
> they don't know how/where to get them from). But that's an ideal
> Internet that will never exist, I know.

it's because we didn't know exactly how to scope this problem that RFC 2136
does not permit the insertion or deletion of authority zones.  noting that
the ideal internet you want is within our grasp if we can only define it and
sponsor it, i recommend taking up this thread on namedroppers at ops.ietf.org or
dns-operations at lists.oarci.net.
--
Paul Vixie