240/4

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu Oct 18 22:31:33 UTC 2007

Joe,

On Oct 18, 2007, at 3:22 PM, Joe Greco wrote:
>> Fixing devices so that they can accept 240/4 is a software fix
>> that can be done with a binary patch and no additional memory.  And
>> there are a _lot_ of these devices.
>
> Sure, I agree there are.  How does that number compare to the
> number of
> devices which can't or won't be upgraded to IPv4-240+?

I'm not sure what the problem is.  If a machine isn't upgraded to
support 240/4, then you can't talk to it.  I would imagine an ISP
could (for example) ensure its routers could handle 240/4 and then
configure those routers to use 240/4 for their loopback addresses,
thereby reducing that ISP's need of "regular" space (be it public or
private).

If someone is suggesting IANA allocate 240/4 to the RIRs as
"regular" /8s for subsequent allocations to ISPs or end users,
they're deeply confused.

Regards,
-drc