240/4

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu Oct 18 18:07:48 UTC 2007

Joe,

On Oct 18, 2007, at 8:49 AM, Joe Greco wrote:
> The ROI on the move to v6 is immense compared to the ROI on the move
> to v4-240+, which will surely only benefit a few.

I am told by people who have inside knowledge that one of the issues
they are facing in deploying IPv6 is that an IPv6 stack + IPv4 stack
have a larger memory footprint that IPv4 alone in devices that have
essentially zero memory for code left (in fact, they're designed that
way).  Fixing devices so that they can accept 240/4 is a software fix
that can be done with a binary patch and no additional memory.  And
there are a _lot_ of these devices.

Regards,
-drc