240/4

Bill Stewart nonobvious at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 23:07:20 UTC 2007

On 10/16/07, Justin M. Streiner <streiner at cluebyfour.org> wrote:
> > The effort someone would spend figuring out if 204/4 is reachable and
> > not-pain-inducing in their infrastructure is better spent figuring out how to
> > make IPv6 work within their sphere of responsibilities.
> I agree.  The current rate at which blocks of IPv4 space are being
> allocated to the RIRs suggests that releasing a chunk from, say, 240/5 or
> 248/5 for consumption gets you about 1 year, tops.

A year is good.  My recommendation would be to adamantly refuse to let the RIRs
assign it for public space and insist that it's for experimental use only,
even though these days the place for research is IPv6 or its
interaction with IPv4,
and maybe even put out some interesting but not actually useful piece
of researchware
such as RFC1149bis (homeland security emergency warning notification
via location-agile mobile distribution of audio recordings using
peer-to-peer avian carriers.)

Then when we actually do run out of IPv4 space and major players start
complaining
that they're Just Not Ready for IPv6, because you know that's going to happen,
have the RFC author grudgingly agree to release the space and retarget
the research,
giving the carriers and other players one more year to get serious.

--
----
             Thanks;     Bill

Note that this isn't my regular email account - It's still experimental so far.
And Google probably logs and indexes everything you send it.