240/4

David Ulevitch davidu at everydns.net
Tue Oct 16 21:20:54 UTC 2007

Daniel Senie wrote:
> If  all of 240/4 is given over without guidance to private address use, a
> huge mess will follow, should we later decide it safe to use on the
> public network.

Nobody would allow that to happen.  Once it goes RFC1918, it would never
go back.

Adding four /8's to the IPv4 RIR assignable space (as you suggest) isn't
buying anyone any time before we run out.

The effort someone would spend figuring out if 204/4 is reachable and
not-pain-inducing in their infrastructure is better spent figuring out
how to make IPv6 work within their sphere of responsibilities.

-David