How to Handle ISPs Who Turn a Blind Eye to Criminal Activity?

Mike Lewinski mike at rockynet.com
Mon Oct 15 15:59:38 UTC 2007

Florian Weimer wrote:

> Part of the reason why this discussion is somewhat heated is that
> there's zero incentive in most markets to deal with customer
> compromises.

We have observed that compromised hosts on our network have a very good
chance of becoming the targets of DDoS attacks. So my staff is trained
to treat each abuse report as a potentially compromised computer "crying
out for help" and we've been through enough multi-gigabit DDoS to know
what the real pain factor is, and hence don't let them fester.