more-specifics via IX

John Payne john at sackheads.org
Mon Oct 15 12:33:13 UTC 2007

On Oct 15, 2007, at 7:41, Wolfgang Tremmel <wolfgang.tremmel at de-
cix.net> wrote:

> Am 15.10.2007 um 07:09 schrieb Bradley Urberg Carlson:
>

>> I have a few customers' customers, who appear at a local IX.  Due
>> to the MLPA-like nature of the IX, I hear their prefixes both at
>> the IX and via my own transit customers.  I normally use localpref
>> to prefer customer advertisements over peers' advertisements.
>>
>> There is a customer's customer who is advertising more-specifics at
>> the IX (and using a different source AS, to boot).  I can think of
>> a couple ways to prevent hearing these, but thought I should ask
>> for suggestions first.
>>

> you should honor your customers routing policy and simply accept the
> routes.

Whilst it is nice to accept a downstream of a downstream's routing
policy like that I don't think it is your place to say that. The other
response asking what the problem is also is a good example of the
misunderstanding of problems with the shim6 solution although at a
different place in the network. If MY policy is to send all customer
traffic through my customer connections, I should be able to do that.

To answer the OP's question I'd be looking at manually filtering the
more specifics if they are also sending the aggregates through the IX.