Sun Project Blackbox / Portable Data Center

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Sun Oct 14 09:37:47 UTC 2007

On 14 Oct 2007, at 01:26, Jim Popovitch wrote:

>> -      New Media / Web 2.0
> HUH?

I understand what Lorell means - the web 2.0 scaling model is to
throw resources, rather than intelligence at your bottlenecks.

I met some 'web 2' people at a conference quite recently, and they
were telling me their platform scales because they can keep throwing
servers at a cluster and performance increases.  Problem is that it
needs to scale early, and scale often.  I asked if any of them
understood the power requirements of a typical server, whether they'd
heard of the power constraints in the datacentres that they'd all
heard of, and how this model affected their new company's OSS costs
long-term, and none of them knew.

Scaling meant something else when I was solving these problems for
the first time.