Sun Project Blackbox / Portable Data Center

Jerry Dixon jerry at jdixon.com
Sun Oct 14 02:21:49 UTC 2007

We've looked at these from a DHS perspective and they are a great concept.
I know Sun has had the boxes here in DC on tour and worth checking out.  I
believe FEMA was in process of looking into leveraging them for disaster
command centers along with the military.

I think the better approach is to not purchase one but to do a lease so that
the hardware stays refreshed and keeps up with technology.  I'm not sure if
they've got a service model for doing the leases but would be a great way to
go for large organizations where you can pay a fee to have them on standby
but managed by Sun or the provider and brought to disaster sites on-demand.

It would be interesting to talk to someone that has used one during a major
event to get their take on them including spin up time to bring them online.

Jerry

  _____