How to Handle ISPs Who Turn a Blind Eye to Criminal Activity?

Michael Smith mksmith at adhost.com
Fri Oct 12 21:26:25 UTC 2007

On Oct 12, 2007, at 7:18 AM, Paul Ferguson wrote:

> This question is part reality, part surreality.
>
> Let me ask you this: What would you do when you have alerted
> (via abuse@ contacts) a notable ISP in the U.S. (not a tier one,
> and not just one of them) about KNOWN, VERIFIABLE, and RECURRING
> criminal activity in their customer downstreams?
>
> And the downstream(s) do not respond? And the criminal activity
> continues?
>
> The most obvious answer is: Gather evidence, contact law
> enforcement.
>
> Right?
>
> I just wanted to reach out the NANOG on this and see what you
> thought... How would you handle it?
>
> - - ferg

We did exactly that with a similar incident and the local FBI Cyber
Crimes folks told us that they couldn't help us because they were
entirely dedicated to potential terrorist activities.  So, I would
say "contact local authorities and play it up as a terrorist act" if
you want any help at all.

Regards,

Mike