How to Handle ISPs Who Turn a Blind Eye to Criminal Activity?

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Fri Oct 12 20:22:07 UTC 2007

* Joe Greco:

> Some people, for example, believe - incorrectly - that certain types of
> e-mail spam are {legal, illegal, pick one}.  Their opinions are
> irrelevant.

I don't know what case prompted Ferg to post his message to NANOG, but I
know that there are cases where failing to act is comparable to ignoring
the screams for help of an "alleged" rape victim during the "alleged"
crime.  There might be some reasons not to do anything (fear of DoS,
concerns for personal safety etc.), but I can assure you that ambiguity
is not one of them.