Why do some ISP's have bandwidth quotas?

Brandon Galbraith brandon.galbraith at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 18:32:37 UTC 2007

On 10/12/07, Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> >
> > If it's multicast TV I don't see the problem, it doesn't increase your
> > backbone traffic linearly with the number of people doing it.
>
> However if you have UK-style ADSL ppp backhaul then multicast doesn't
> help.
>
> Tony.

Not to drag this too far off topic, but have serious studies been done
looking at moving switching fabric closer to the DSLAMs (versus doing
everything PPPoE)? I know this sort of goes opposite of how ILECs are setup
to dish out DSL, but as more traffic is being pushed user to user, it may
make economic/technical sense.

-brandon