How to Handle ISPs Who Turn a Blind Eye to Criminal Activity?

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Fri Oct 12 17:09:55 UTC 2007

I am happy to hear about the panel.

Back to the subject at hand...

As things are today, ISPs' authority, responsibility, liability and
technical difficulties differe considerably from country to country, and
more over--are not regulated in many fashions (where this applies, can't
regulate tech difficulty, can we?)

Further, as the swamp is so distorted and radiated, it is often difficult
to accuse providers who try to cope.

Then we have providers who turn a blind eye to a level where they are
black hat.

Then we have black hat providers which provide such services. As in
criminal services.

The sad fact is, these are not just in Russia or China, but exist in the
US and other western countries as well.

The time soon approaches when we need to clean house if we are to "clean
the net". I suppose we may as well start with the lower-hanging fruit
because the very idea of cleaning the net is propostrous.

There is no reason to gun for businesses, but if the businesses are in
fact criminal (which is surprisingly easily defined, think RBN), and cause
that much trouble, we can gun for them and feel good about it, too.

 	Gadi.