How to Handle ISPs Who Turn a Blind Eye to Criminal Activity?

John Kristoff jtk at ultradns.net
Fri Oct 12 15:34:48 UTC 2007

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 08:00:46 GMT
"Paul Ferguson" <fergdawg at netzero.net> wrote:

> Not intentionally trying to be retarded, but I've received
> an enormous number of private responses.
[...]
> This question is part reality, part surreality.
>
> Let me ask you this: What would you do when you have alerted
> (via abuse@ contacts) a notable ISP in the U.S. (not a tier one,
> and not just one of them) about KNOWN, VERIFIABLE, and RECURRING
> criminal activity in their customer downstreams?
[...]

Hi Paul, as you know, there is a scheduled panel discussion related to
this topic at the ISP Security BoF.  I encourage anyone who isn't going
to the peering BoF to participate.  We could also use another person on
the panel.  Anyone who feels particularly passionate or who would bring
a unique perspective to the panel I'd love to have you on stage or at
least willing to come up to the audience mic.  Feel free to nominate
your friends and I'll solicit them privately without attribution by you
if you prefer and as appropriate.  :-)

I'd be especially interested in questions, comments or other suggestions
for me, the moderator, that might help steer the discussion to someplace
useful.  I'd prefer to take those off-list please.

Some additional BoF details here:

  <http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0710/kristoff.html>

John