Researchers ping through first full 'Internet census' in 25 years

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Fri Oct 12 14:21:50 UTC 2007

On Fri, October 12, 2007 2:49 pm, Justin M. Streiner wrote:

> "HOST x.x.x.x ON YOUR NETWORK PINGED ME!!!!  I TAKE MY SECURITY
> SERIOUSLY!!  I'M CALLING THE FBI!!!"

That I can *sort* of understand - it's the flaming zealotry of "ALL ICMP
IS EEEVIL!" trickling down from 99% of firewall admins working in
enterprises to end users who just heard it from "someone in IT".

It's the "Your server www.whatever.com is attacking me from port 80!" ones
that leave me torn between laughing, crying, and seriously thinking about
a cull...