How Not to Multihome

Jamie Bowden jamie at photon.com
Tue Oct 9 12:15:31 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog at merit.edu [mailto:owner-nanog at merit.edu] On Behalf Of
Patrick W. Gilmore
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2007 9:33 PM
To: nanog
Cc: Patrick W. Gilmore
Subject: Re: How Not to Multihome

On Oct 8, 2007, at 6:45 PM, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Oct 2007, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

>> If you do you have permission from the owner of the block, you
>> Should Not Announce it.
>
> Agreed.

I stated above that you should not announce another provider's space
without their permission, and you specifically agreed.  Here you are
talking about that space being announced without the owner's
knowledge.  Make up your mind.

We both agree that announcing another provider's space without their
consent is a Very Bad Thing.  I doubt you will find people willing to
post here to the contrary.  If the owner _does_ know the space is
being announced, the edge filters are no different whether it is
originated in the second upstream's ASN or an ASN owned by the customer.

So again, I ask, how is that different?

---

You'll note that you left a word out above.  He's agreeing that even if
you do have permission, you shouldn't announce space from another
provider.

Jamie Bowden
--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"