Upstreams blocking /24s? (was Re: How Not to Multihome)

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Oct 9 01:19:22 UTC 2007

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007, Justin M. Streiner wrote:

> As far as allowing prefixes longer than a /24, that decision was made when
> the Internet was considerably smaller than it is now, and many networks
> adopted /24 as the cutoff point.  If you make the cutoff point smaller, what
> is the new point... /26?  /32?

Anything longer than /24 is unlikely to propogate far on the internet.
You can all check your filters to see.  I just checked mine, and neither
Level3 nor Time Warner has tried to send me anything longer than /24 in
recent history.  If they did, it'd show up as hits on a distribute-list
deny rule.

Rather than ISPs relaxing filters, you're likely to see them get more
strict, filtering shorter prefixes, when routers start falling over in the
next few months.

> Many networks see customers multi-homing as pretty easy justification to
> provide them with a /24 of PA space, even if they're small enough that
> justifying a /24 while single-homed wouldn't work.

This is actually in the ARIN "rules".  Multihoming is justification
(regardless of utilization) for one of the multihomed network's providers
to assign them a /24.