Upstreams blocking /24s? (was Re: How Not to Multihome)

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Oct 9 00:55:19 UTC 2007

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007, David Conrad wrote:

> Others have indicated that such filters (assuming they exist) will not last
> in the face of paying customers presenting longer than /24 prefixes for
> routing.  Specifically, that ISPs will relax their filters (allowing longer
> than /24) in order to get their peers to accept their long prefixes.  Anybody
> have an opinion on the likelihood of this?

The only exceptions I've seen to the /24 policy are when the customer in
question multihomes to the same upstream - sometimes done with a specific
AS designated for that purpose, i.e. what UUNET does with AS7046.  Those
routes are then aggregated that provider's parent block(s).

As far as allowing prefixes longer than a /24, that decision was made when
the Internet was considerably smaller than it is now, and many networks
adopted /24 as the cutoff point.  If you make the cutoff point smaller,
what is the new point... /26?  /32?  Many networks see customers
multi-homing as pretty easy justification to provide them with a /24 of PA
space, even if they're small enough that justifying a /24 while
single-homed wouldn't work.

jms