How Not to Multihome

Wayne E. Bouchard web at typo.org
Mon Oct 8 21:53:31 UTC 2007

Slightly different approach... Needing to multihome is justification
for requesting an ASN. Is this strictly necessary? No. You can source
the block on his behalf but that creates various routing
inconsistancies. There are other even more unpleasant ways of doing
this that are perfectly feasible. (I'd be willing to use them if I was
the client since I know what I'm doing but I would not be willing to
have a client of mine use them because it would scare the hell out of
me.)

-Wayne

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 05:43:03PM -0400, Keegan.Holley at sungard.com wrote:
> I have a client that wants us to advertise an IP block assigned by another
> ISP.  I know that the best practice is to have them request an AS number
> from ARIN and peer with us, etc.  However, I cannot find any information
> that states as law.  Does anyone know of a document or RFC that states
> this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Keegan
---