How Not to Multihome

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Oct 8 21:49:41 UTC 2007

On Oct 8, 2007, at 5:43 PM, Keegan.Holley at sungard.com wrote:

> I have a client that wants us to advertise an IP block assigned by
> another
> ISP.  I know that the best practice is to have them request an AS
> number
> from ARIN and peer with us, etc.  However, I cannot find any
> information
> that states as law.  Does anyone know of a document or RFC that states
> this?

There is nothing wrong with both of your originating the prefix, as
long as the owner gives you permission.  Plus it saves an ASN.  If
the link between you & the customer dies, things get far more
interesting, but that doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't do it.

Of course, you can probably still find documentation against it.
(You can find documentation for or against just about anything.)

--
TTFN,
patrick