Laws governing FTTx ?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Oct 8 03:39:33 UTC 2007

I would be interested in hearing from those providing fiber to homes
or businesses, and the laws surrounding that.

Specifically, if the builder of a new home or homes allows fiber
installation (that is, fiber installed before the home is built and
which is wired into the basement wall beside the telco's network
panel) by a non-ILEC/non-CLEC, is a permit other than the usual
construction permit necessary?

(Certainly an easement will need to be drawn up for the fiber as it
crosses property lines; but I am more worried about the ILEC
complaining or being able to erect legal barriers).

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net