Why do some ISP's have bandwidth quotas?

Martin Barry marty at supine.com
Mon Oct 8 01:50:17 UTC 2007

$quoted_author = "Joe Greco" ;

> The real problem is the ability of users to adopt new killer apps.  This
> eventually breaks down to issues of "how long is it reasonable for users
> to fund that shiny telco network at $50/line/month" and things like that,
> because rather than solving the problems, it appears that AU ISP's are
> simply passing on costs, minimizing the services offered in order to keep
> service prices as low as possible, and then sitting around justifying it.

if only it was so easy.

AU's infrastructure has a long been a quagmire of political fumbling and
organised chaos.

as mark keeps trying to point out the current state has nothing to do with
the wants of the ISP industry. they all wish it was different too...

> At a certain point, the deployment cost of your telco network is covered,
> and it is no longer reasonable to be paying $50/line/month for mere access
> to the copper.

nice rhetoric. can you come and convince our politicians of that?

cheers
marty

--
You need only two tools, WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and
it should, use the WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.