Geographic map of IPv6 availability

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Sat Oct 6 16:33:00 UTC 2007

On 6-Oct-2007, at 1226, Stephen Wilcox wrote:

> But it highlights the lack of v6 support in the root...

Actually, no. There's lots of IPv6 glue in the root zone. Not as much
as IPv4 glue, to be sure, but it's most certainly there:

[calamari:~]% dig @192.5.5.241 . axfr | grep -c AAAA
102
[calamari:~]%

What's missing (for those who hanker after a DNS that works as
intended with v6-only clients) is AAAA glue for *.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.

> OOI Do you know the status of v6 in the root and gtlds
> (delegations, glue and the root IPv6s themselves?)

Many TLDs are served by nameservers which are reachable over IPv6. I
don't know how many TLD registries support IPv6 glue. Several root
servers are reachable over IPv6. There are no AAAA records in the
ROOT-SERVERS.NET zone.

Many of those questions are answerable directly by looking in the DNS.

Joe