Geographic map of IPv6 availability

Stephen Wilcox steve.wilcox at packetrade.com
Sat Oct 6 12:11:49 UTC 2007

On 6 Oct 2007, at 05:53, Kevin Day wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2007, at 10:38 PM, Kevin Loch wrote:
>

>> Nathan Ward wrote:
>>> That's because the 'v6 network' is broken enough that putting
>>> AAAA records on sites that need to be well reachable is a bad idea.
>>> For example, due mainly to Vista's 6to4 tunnelling stuff (based
>>> on researching a random sample of users), I'd lose about 4% of
>>> visitors to my web-sites if I were to turn on AAAA records.
>>
>> Has anyone who was using AAAA records for a site turned them off
>> due to
>> reachability problems?
>>

> Yes. We tried it on one of our client's rather high profile sites
> and had to turn it off because of exactly that problem.

Ditto, we started enabling v6 a few years ago and tried dual stacking
some servers including DNS and www .. we noticed that hosts were
doing DNS lookups over v4 that would yield AAAA results to v6
addresses they could not reach and they preferred AAAA over A so the
end user experienced a mysterious hang then a timeout error

Steve