Geographic map of IPv6 availability

Stephen Wilcox steve.wilcox at packetrade.com
Fri Oct 5 14:18:56 UTC 2007

On 4 Oct 2007, at 00:18, <michael.dillon at bt.com>
<michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:

> Has anyone seen a map showing geographic availability of IPv6 in North
> America like this Russian example?
>
> http://www.ipv6.ru/russian/history/map/map.php
>
> If you click on the cities they are mostly showing State Universities,
> but something that showed both R&E and commercial operators separately
> with some kind of color coding (temperature?) for the number of
> organizations offering the service, would be interesting to follow
> progress over the next two to three years.
>
> It's one way to debunk the myth that IPv6 is really hard to find.

the best way to debunk the 'myth' would be to find some

let me see now how about content, lets do some AAAA lookups:

Google - no
Microsoft - no
Yahoo - no
YouTube - no
Facebook - no

well, maybe that'll follow.. lets look for a v6 provider here in the UK:

VirginMedia cable - no
BT ADSL - no
Pipex ADSL - no
Tiscali ADSL - no
Talktalk ADSL - no

I see some carriers can provide me v6 transit or peering, typically
its bundled with their v4 offerings or at a reduced rate but other
than being part of the 'v6 backbone' what exactly can i get to?

Given the above, I think there is no myth.. !

Steve