Why do some ISP's have bandwidth quotas?

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Fri Oct 5 01:56:01 UTC 2007

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007, Joe Abley wrote:

> It seems like the pertinent question here is: what is stopping DSL
> (or cable) providers in Australia and New Zealand from selling N x
> meg DSL service at low enough prices to avoid the need for a data
> cap? Is it the cost of crossing an ocean which makes the risk of
> unlimited service too great to implement, or something else?

The popular content is still international and the population
density sucks in a lot of places.

I note that no ISP runs "free local bandwidth" anymore at least
in Western Australia because it started impacting on the ability
to send data back to the client through the DSL aggregation
network. Me, I think the network design needs to change to not
be so PPPoE-to-the-nearest-capital-city, but ISPs keep telling
me "its a great idea - but our current structure is fine, why
try to change it?". I understand the economic reasons (upgrading
the network to route IP all the way out to the exchanges and
let customers talk to other customers and across IX fabrics without
potentially crossing the same god damned wholesaler L2TP-tunnelled
network == expensive) but its gotta change someday.

Me, I wonder why the heck cheap services -in the CBDs- don't seem
to be popular..

Adrian