Why do some ISP's have bandwidth quotas?

Vassili Tchersky vt at phear.org
Thu Oct 4 21:52:40 UTC 2007

2007/10/4, David E. Smith <dave at mvn.net>:
> I imagine the cost of backhauling traffic a few thousand miles in
> underseas cables would add to the cost of running an ISP in, say,
> Australia, especially since many sites the end-users will want to see
> are still hosted in the US.

In Europe, the only ISPs where i've seen bandwith quotas was some
cables operators, while in Canada bandwith quotas seem to be still in
place at many ISPs.
I'm not an expert at all, but it seems that in Europe, even far from
the US-hosted websites, the bandwith cost may be cheaper.

--
Vassili Tchersky